Lots of people are wondering what to do about reduced or paused finances right now and it can be hard to know where to turn for help.

If you have concerns about your financial situation you may wish contact a Financial Counsellor though the National Debt Helpline, 1800 007 007  .  This is a not-for-profit service that helps people tackle their debt problems.

The National Debt Helpline can give you advice about your options and the services are 100% free.  They are not a lender and don’t ‘sell’ anything or make money from you.  The professional Financial Counsellors offer a free, independent and confidential service and can help you get back on track.

You should never have to pay for this advice.  Don’t ever agree to pay fees to get financial counselling, to get advice about debt or to fix your credit file.

Financial Counsellors are on occasion confused with Financial Planners or Financial Advisers but the services provided are quite different. Financial Planners/Advisers provide advice to people who have money to invest.

Financial Counsellors work with people who are in debt or are not able to meet their ongoing expenses.

Financial counsellors don’t need a licence to offer financial counselling because they operate under a licensing exemption from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)subject to the following strict conditions. They:

•             don’t charge fees to clients

•             don’t receive any payments or commissions from third parties for their services

•             must have appropriate qualifications and training, and

•             must be eligible for membership of a financial counselling association.

Only people who meet the above criteria are legally allowed to call themselves a ‘Financial Counsellor’.  You can read more about financial counsellors here.

Other free services that may help are: 

Legal Aid Queensland:  1300 65 11 88

Caxton Legal:  3214 6333

Gambling Help: 3808 9235 

Emergency Relief – a list of Logan emergency relief providers has been compiled by YFS, and can be found here. 

More emergency relief info can be found at the Department of Social Services emergency relief page and Queensland Government emergency relief.